Are you wondering how to pray for your adult children? Just when you think you have gone through the most challenging season with your kids (the teenage years), you realize there are a whole new set of situations you are faced with. You have dedicated nearly eighteen years to raising them, teaching them and guiding them through life honoring God and His word in the process. Coming into the next season of their lives begs the question – are they prepared for adulthood and stepping out on their own into this big, scary world?
Parenting adult children can be a little tricky; we’re not sure how much we should be involved in their lives.
Whether they are living at home, away at college or have moved out permanently, we don’t have the same control over their lives that we had when they were younger. While we want to encourage them to be independent, we are always concerned about their safety and the choices they make.
We can’t always be with them, but God promises to never leave them.
It is especially confusing once they have moved out and are living on their own. We love them and still want to protect them from the grips of a sin-filled world. We want them to be safe, successful and responsible.
The truth is God actually does a better job taking care of them than we do. We know that in our heads, but do we embrace that in our hearts?
“Bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.” Ephesians 6:4
If you have raised your children to the best of your ability, in love and to the glory of God, you have done well. The best thing you can do for them now is to pray!
Here are 8 powerful prayers you can pray for your adult children continually and trust God to do the rest.
- Pray for their protection. “For He shall give His angels charge over thee.” Psalm 91:11
- Pray for them to stand strong. “But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come.” 2 Timothy 3:1; “Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.” 2 Timothy 2:1
- Pray for them to have discernment. “And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, that you may approve the things that are excellent” Philippians 1:9,10
- Pray for their walk with the LORD. “I implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” Ephesians 4:1-3
- Pray for their future spouses and close relationships. “Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.” 2 Corinthians 6:14
- Pray that they would make wise decisions. “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise, but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.” Ephesians 5:17
- Pray for them to stay humble and trust God. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.” Proverbs 3:5
- Pray that they would be hard workers. “And whatever you do, do it heartily as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.” Colossians 3:23,24
Remember that God will give us the grace to face every season of our lives! His grace is sufficient!